Saturday, July 2, 2011

Katie Goes to Nia, A Hoop Dance & A Choreography Sesh

I like to sleep. A lot. Getting out of bed in the morning can be torture. This morning was no exception but I'm proud that I set my mind to getting out from under the covers for a couple classes at Move Studio. The order of the day? A Nia class followed by my first hoop dance class ever followed by a choreography session for "Grieve"!

Nia's focus today was on the spine and it was nice to give my back a good workout since I've been missing yoga class so frequently these days. I felt a little out of it in class and had a couple footwork problems that distracted me but overall it was a good class. I am starting to get a little better at the more martial arts-oriented sections of the class but I am certainly still awkward with them. It takes a minute to get in the flow of the movement plus the breath but once I get there, it's really fun to ride that wave and feel the energy of the moment.

I took a hooping class immediately after Nia. I've been working exclusively with my gorgeous Sacred Flame hoop so far but I tried out a bigger and heavier one in class. It was amazing how much easier it was to keep that hoop in the air. While I'm positive my Sacred Flame hoop is going to come in handy once I'm not such an extreme hooping beginner, I'm going to make a larger one for practicing. It'll help me master the basics so I can live up to my nicely crafted hoop. I'll post some pictures of my hoop when I make it - hopefully tomorrow morning.

Then I went home for a quick bite to eat before heading out to the yoga studio to do a little choreography session. I'm working on a group number right now and it's a little frustrating how the pieces of choreography float into my head. It comes in little flashes, to random bits of music, and I'll have to kind of chase the vision down. I got a couple strong images out of today's work, which always feels successful even if I didn't leave with a fully choreographed piece. Progress is progress is progress!

I got home from the third dance session of the day and couldn't even make it to the shower before I collapsed in bed and napped hard for an hour or so. I like when I work myself hard enough that my body actually needs rest. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment